2027: Sowore declares presidential ambition, says he has better ideas for nigeria - The Alternative News - The Alternative News

Breaking

Home Top Ad

Slider

Friday, May 22, 2026

2027: Sowore declares presidential ambition, says he has better ideas for nigeria - The Alternative News

 


Human rights activist and publisher of Sahara Reporters, Omoyele Sowore, has declared his intention to contest the 2027 presidential election.

Sowore, who was the 2023 presidential candidate of the African Action Congress (AAC), made the announcement on Friday during Politics Today, a programme on Channels Television.

He disclosed that the AAC would conduct its primaries next week but declined to confirm whether he would emerge as the party’s sole candidate.
“And it is because, as I’ve said several times, all the political parties are equal, and the better candidates should be able to win elections in this country, people with ideas,” he said.

Sowore noted that the current situation in Nigeria requires a different approach, stressing that the country is facing worsening challenges.

“It’s different because these are different times also. Times are harder. Nigeria is in bigger trouble,” he added.

The activist maintained that he possesses better ideas to address Nigeria’s problems than incumbent President Bola Tinubu and other opposition contenders.

“All the ideas of the people you mentioned brought Nigeria into this cycle of poverty, insecurity, pain, sorrow, and tears,” he said.

“Do you want Nigeria to continue to get these same people elected or selected, whichever way they get themselves into office, so that they can suffer more, so that those of us who have ideas that can liberate this country will not be listened to?”

He explained that his ambition is to provide Nigerians with what he described as a genuine alternative to the mainstream political establishment.

Sowore also commented on the ongoing digital membership registration exercise directed by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), noting that the AAC had yet to submit its final register.

According to him, a recent court judgment allowed political parties to reopen their registration portals.

“We haven’t finally submitted, and that’s what this court judgment says. So if you have submitted now, the court says you can reopen your portal and start again. But we never stopped anyway,” he said.

The 2027 election will mark the third time Sowore is seeking Nigeria’s presidency on the AAC platform, having previously contested in the 2019 and 2023 general elections.

No comments:

Post a Comment