A prosecution witness in the ongoing trial of former Nasir el-Rufai has told the court that the National Security Adviser (NSA) confirmed the authenticity of a conversation referenced by the defendant during a television interview.
The witness gave the testimony on Tuesday before Joyce Abdulmalik of the Federal High Court, Abuja, in a case involving allegations of treason and breach of national security.
During proceedings, the prosecution played a 43-minute interview in which el-Rufai allegedly claimed that a private conversation involving the NSA had been wiretapped and forwarded to him.
According to the witness, investigators later interviewed the NSA, who verbally confirmed that the conversation occurred between him and the chairman of the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC).
The ICPC chairman was also said to have confirmed the discussion after excerpts of the interview were played to him.
The court heard that Charles Aniagolu, who conducted the interview; Deji Adeyanju; and Ugochukwu Agalayana were all questioned during the investigation.
The witness said Aniagolu confirmed that el-Rufai stated during the interview that someone intercepted the NSA’s conversation and passed it to him. He added that the former governor defended the alleged interception, arguing that governments routinely monitor citizens’ communications.
Statements obtained from Aniagolu and Adeyanju were admitted in evidence as exhibits C, C1 and E without objection, while Agalayana’s statement was admitted as exhibit D after he confirmed setting up the recording equipment, although he did not follow the discussion.
The prosecution witness described el-Rufai’s comments during the broadcast as an “open confession” and said investigators concluded that the alleged act was capable of undermining national security, recommending prosecution.
However, under cross-examination by defence counsel Paul Erokoro, the witness admitted that investigators did not examine any communication devices belonging to the NSA, obtain IP addresses, or conduct forensic analysis related to the alleged interception.
He also acknowledged that el-Rufai never claimed during the interview that he personally intercepted the conversation, but insisted the defendant maintained that the discussion had been tapped and forwarded to him.
When asked if the former governor could have exaggerated during a politically charged interview, the witness said he considered el-Rufai a person of integrity and believed his statements.
Following the testimony of the first prosecution witness, Justice Abdulmalik adjourned further hearing in the case until June 22 and 23.
.jpeg)
No comments:
Post a Comment