Controversy has erupted over the involvement of the Chairman of the Nigeria Revenue Service (NRS), Zacch Adedeji, in President Bola Ahmed Tinubu’s 2027 presidential campaign.
Opposition figures and public commentators have questioned the propriety of Adedeji serving as a campaign fundraiser while remaining in charge of the nation’s revenue agency.
The controversy followed his appointment as Deputy Director of Fundraising in the All Progressives Congress (APC) Presidential Campaign Council for Tinubu’s re-election bid.
Former Kogi West Senator and African Democratic Congress (ADC) chieftain, Dino Melaye, has threatened to challenge the appointment in court, arguing that it raises questions about conflict of interest and public service ethics.
Melaye said he would approach the court on Monday to test the legality of Adedeji’s involvement in the campaign structure.
“As a lawyer, by the grace of God, on Monday, I’m going to court. We have to test that,” he said in a video posted on his official X account on Sunday.
The former senator questioned how the head of the country’s revenue collection agency could simultaneously occupy a fundraising position in a partisan presidential campaign.
“And you are serving as the country’s Chairman of Nigerian Revenue Service (NRS), formally known as FIRS. Is there no conflict in this?” Melaye asked.
He argued that Adedeji, as a public servant, is expected to comply with the Public Service Rules and public service ethics.
“If that is not conflict of interest, I don’t know what else it would be,” he said.
Melaye’s position has been echoed by several Nigerians who reacted to the appointment on social media.
Some expressed concern that the involvement of the country’s tax collection chief in campaign fundraising could blur the line between public office and partisan politics.
Development and business commentator Morris Monye also questioned the appointment, asking whether it could result in taxpayers’ money being used to finance the APC campaign.
Another commentator, Kalu Aja, questioned how the head of the country’s tax collection agency could serve on a political party’s fundraising committee.
He suggested that Adedeji could take leave from public office if he wished to work directly for a political organisation, arguing that the current arrangement could undermine public institutions.
Other social media users similarly raised concerns about the optics of having the head of the NRS, an agency responsible for generating a substantial portion of government revenue, involved in fundraising for a presidential campaign.
One commentator, identified as @MohdHAbdullahi, described the development as an ethical concern and argued that a clear line should be drawn between partisan political activity and public service responsibilities.
The controversy over Adedeji’s role comes against the backdrop of wider criticism of the composition of Tinubu’s 2027 campaign council by opposition parties.
The ADC has criticised the council over the inclusion of some former government officials, describing it as a “rehabilitation system” for individuals facing unresolved corruption and public accountability questions.
The party specifically questioned the inclusion of former Humanitarian Affairs Minister Betta Edu and former Nigeria Social Insurance Trust Fund chairman Ngozi Olejeme, demanding clarification on whether outstanding cases involving them had been resolved.
Similarly, the Allied Peoples’ Movement (APM) described the campaign council as an “assembly of disconnected yes men and discredited politicians” and questioned its capacity to secure Tinubu’s re-election.
APM National Publicity Secretary, Abubakar Yusuf, said the composition of the council reflected what his party considered a failure by the President to assemble a credible team with sufficient public confidence.
“If after three and half years in power, President Tinubu could not garner the capacity to assemble a credible team, then it is clear that indeed he has no business being in charge of a nation as complex and demanding as Nigeria,” Yusuf said.
However, unlike Melaye and the social media commentators who specifically questioned Adedeji’s role, the ADC and APM criticisms were largely directed at the wider composition and credibility of the campaign council.
The APC announced the 2027 Presidential Campaign Council on Saturday, naming Tinubu as chairman, Vice-President Kashim Shettima as Vice-Chairman I and APC National Chairman Nentawe Yilwatda as Vice-Chairman II.
Former Zamfara State Governor Abdulaziz Yari was named Director-General, while Imo State Governor Hope Uzodimma was appointed Secretary.
Ogun State Governor Dapo Abiodun was named Director of Fundraising, with Adedeji listed as Deputy Director of Fundraising.
The council is expected to coordinate the ruling party’s campaign for Tinubu ahead of the 2027 presidential election.
However, the decision to place a serving public revenue chief in its fundraising structure has introduced another controversy, with questions being raised over whether his political role is compatible with his responsibilities as head of a federal revenue institution.
Melaye said he would pursue the matter in court while continuing his opposition to Tinubu’s re-election bid.
“But I will test that in court, and we will make sure that, by the special grace of God, the battle to stop Tinubu is a battle of no retreat, no surrender,” he said.
The emerging controversy has placed Adedeji’s appointment among the first contentious issues surrounding the APC’s campaign structure, as opposition parties broaden their criticism of the council ahead of the 2027 presidential contest.
.jpeg)
No comments:
Post a Comment