FIFA Yet to Communicate Verdict on Nigeria’s Protest - NFF | The Alternative News - The Alternative News

Breaking

Home Top Ad

Slider

Monday, February 16, 2026

FIFA Yet to Communicate Verdict on Nigeria’s Protest - NFF | The Alternative News

 


The Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) has dismissed reports claiming that FIFA has delivered a verdict on Nigeria’s protest against the Democratic Republic of Congo Football Federation over alleged ineligible players.

The controversy arose after Nigeria’s Super Eagles were eliminated on penalties by DR Congo’s Leopards in the final round of the African play-offs last November, ending their hopes of advancing to the intercontinental play-offs for the 2026 FIFA World Cup.

Following the defeat, the NFF submitted a formal complaint to FIFA, questioning the eligibility of several Congolese players. The federation argued that DR Congo’s domestic laws do not recognise dual nationality for adults and raised concerns that some players allegedly held European passports while representing the Leopards.

However, the NFF has clarified that no decision has been communicated by FIFA.

The federation’s Director of Communications, Ademola Olajire, described reports suggesting that a ruling had been issued in favour of either Nigeria or DR Congo as “false and misleading.”

“There is no decision from FIFA at this time. Any claims that a ruling has been made are false. FIFA has not communicated any verdict to the NFF or the Congolese federation,” Olajire said.

The NFF also urged the public to disregard fabricated documents circulating online, which purportedly show FIFA awarding Nigeria a 3-0 victory and reinstating the Super Eagles in the qualification race.

According to the NFF, the petition centred on DR Congo’s nationality laws, which largely prohibit dual citizenship.

The federation alleged that some Leopards players retained foreign passports, including Belgian, English, French or Dutch nationality, without formally renouncing previous citizenship.

NFF General Secretary Mohammed Sanusi maintained that while FIFA’s regulations consider possession of a valid passport sufficient for eligibility, the federation’s concern is whether complete and accurate documentation was presented.

“As far as FIFA is concerned, once you have the passport of your country, you are eligible. But our concern is that FIFA may have been deceived into clearing them,” Sanusi said.

The Congolese FA has rejected Nigeria’s claims, insisting the result on the pitch should stand. Director of Football Hérita Ilunga stated that FIFA’s definition of sporting nationality, not domestic citizenship law, determines player eligibility.

On social media, the Leopards described Nigeria’s petition as an attempt to overturn the match result off the field, urging the Super Eagles to focus on future competitions.

FIFA has yet to issue an official ruling on the matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment