Desmond Elliot, lawmaker representing Surulere 1 in the Lagos State House of Assembly, has revealed that he initially believed the 2025 impeachment of Mudashiru Obasa had the backing of Bola Tinubu.
Elliot said the entire episode left lawmakers confused, particularly following subsequent developments that led to Obasa’s reinstatement.
In January 2025, Obasa was removed as speaker after a majority of legislators accused him of gross misconduct and abuse of office. He was impeached while abroad, and the then-deputy speaker, Mojisola Meranda, was elected as the first female speaker of the house.
However, after 49 days in office, Meranda stepped down, paving the way for Obasa’s return following reported intervention by Tinubu.
Speaking on Sunrise Daily, a programme on Channels Television, Elliot expressed surprise over recent comments by Femi Gbajabiamila, who alleged that Elliot’s role in the impeachment nearly cost him his position.
Gbajabiamila, a former speaker of the House of Representatives, had claimed he instructed Elliot to publicly distance himself from the impeachment plot, a directive he said was ignored.
Reacting, Elliot said he was unaware of such instruction and maintained that he remained loyal to Gbajabiamila.
“I spoke with him during that period. He is my leader and would always be my leader. At no point did he ask me to make any public statement,” Elliot said.
The lawmaker disclosed that he was out of the country when the impeachment plot gained momentum, noting that he travelled to South Africa with his wife during the assembly’s recess.
According to him, upon his return, he discovered that most lawmakers had already endorsed the impeachment, prompting him to also sign, believing it had presidential approval.
“I was as confused as anybody. When I saw that almost everyone had signed, I thought it had the backing of the president, so I appended my signature,” he said.
Elliot added that Tinubu later clarified to lawmakers that he did not authorise the impeachment and directed that Obasa be reinstated.
Describing the issue as settled, Elliot said he was surprised that it had resurfaced at a sensitive political period.
“I thought the matter had been dead and buried. Mr President said it is over, so for my leader to bring it up again at this time is quite surprising,” he said.
The 52-year-old lawmaker, who is seeking a fourth term in the assembly, also revealed that he had told Gbajabiamila he would not abandon his colleagues without carrying others along.
Meanwhile, Gbajabiamila has endorsed Barakat Odunuga-Bakare, a former aide to Babajide Sanwo-Olu, as Elliot’s opponent in the upcoming race.
Elliot had, on May 15, publicly apologised to Gbajabiamila.

No comments:
Post a Comment