Police Debunks Alleged Bandits Attack in Ogbomoso, Restores Calm | The Alternative News - The Alternative News

Breaking

Home Top Ad

Slider

Tuesday, May 19, 2026

Police Debunks Alleged Bandits Attack in Ogbomoso, Restores Calm | The Alternative News

 


The Oyo State Police Command has dismissed reports of a fresh bandit attack in Ogbomoso and surrounding communities, describing the incident as a false alarm triggered by misinformation.

Panic had earlier gripped parts of Ogbomoso and neighbouring areas, including Ajaawa Town, following rumours that armed bandits had invaded the vicinity of Are-Ago High School. Viral videos circulating on social media showed students and traders fleeing their schools and business premises over fears of an attack.

In a statement shared on its X platform, the police said surveillance and patrol teams were immediately deployed to the scene to verify the situation and forestall any breakdown of law and order.

According to the command, operatives met with the school principal, Mrs. Akanbi Ruth, who explained that the alarm stemmed from reports among students who claimed that unfamiliar individuals were sighted behind the school fence.

Preliminary investigations, however, revealed that the individuals were an officer of the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps attached to the Kwara State Command, alongside two civilians in a Toyota Venza SUV.

The individuals reportedly told authorities they were in the area to celebrate a birthday, while NSCDC officials were contacted to verify the officer’s identity.

The police added that a misunderstanding between some teachers and the visitors heightened suspicion, which led to students spreading unverified information to neighbouring schools and communities, escalating tension across the area.

The command said patrols and visibility policing were intensified, while stakeholders were engaged to reassure residents. It added that normal academic, commercial and social activities have since resumed.

The police warned against the spread of fake news and unverified security information, noting that such actions could cause panic and disrupt public peace.

“The dissemination of false information, particularly on security-related matters, has the potential to create avoidable chaos and undermine collective security efforts,” the statement noted.

Residents, especially youths and social media users, were urged to verify information before sharing, with a warning that those found spreading false reports would face prosecution.

The clarification comes amid heightened concerns over insecurity in Ogbomoso and nearby communities. Last Friday, gunmen reportedly attacked communities in the Ahoro-Esiele/Yawota axis of Oriire, abducting students and staff from local schools.

No comments:

Post a Comment